Hailo have announced that their smart-phone based taxi-cab service is now live in Galway,
They report that 150 of Galway's taxi-drivers have signed up to use it so far.
How the Hailo service works
- Taxi-drivers sign up to use the service - this makes them eligible to be assigned to any jobs that are requested in Hailo.
- People who want to use the service download software (the "Hailo app") onto an iPhone or Android phone - see the Getting started page for details. They they register an account, and may register a credit or debit card as well.
- Then when a person wants a taxi, they use the app: the phone's GPS works out where they are (the customer can refine this, and add more details), and place an order. One of the registered taxi-drivers picks it up.
Advantages of using Hailo
- All taxi-journeys are with registered taxis, and are logged - this makes it safer
- You can pay using your registered card if you want - less cash for you and the taxi driver to carry
- There is no call-out fee. (Regular fares, including flag-fall, still apply)
- Both the passenger and the taxi-driver get better information.
Note: the service was only started in Dublin and Cork recently. It is not yet clear how well it is set up to work in Galway.
See Taxi-offices in Galway for city-centre locations where you can walk-up and request a taxi for no call-out-fee.