These fares apply from 1 December 2016, for the 2017 calendar year.
Monthly and annual ticket prices will be applied during November for tickets that will be used from December.
The Galway City Bus Fares page will be updated with this information shortly.
Bus Éireann city bus services
Tickets paid for using a Leap card
- Adult fare from €1.60 to €1.61, an increase of 0.6%
- School-child from €0.76 to €0.77, an increase of 0.3%
- Child fare stays at €0.91,
Single journey tickets - cash fares
- Adult from €2.10 to €2.20, an increase of 4.8%
- School-child from €1.00 to €1.05, an increase of 5%
- Child fare stays at €1.20 to €1.25, an increase of 4.2%
- Adult from €4.40 to €4.50, an increase of 2.3%.
If loaded onto a Leap card then they are valid for 24 hours from the time of purchase.
Day-passes purchased from the driver using cash are only valid for the calendar day.
- In Galway, there are no day-passes for children or students.
- Adult decreases from €20.80 to €20.50, a change of -1.4%
- Student from €17.30 to €17.00, a decrease of 1.7%
- Child from €8.70 to €8.90, an increase of 2.3%
- Adult from €72.90 to €71.00, ie a decrease of 2.3%
- Student from €57.50 to €57.00, a decrease of 0.9%
- Child from €32.10 to €33.00, an increase of 2.3%
Annual tickets (including Tax-saver)
- Adult: from €790 to €759.70, a decrease of 3.8%
- There are no annual student or child fares.
Bus Éireann regional and commuter busesSome fares on "stage carriage" services are also increasing: the amount depends on the distance travelled, and the type of ticket used.
- Adult return tickets: increase by between 1.1% and 4.9%
- Child and student return tickets: No increases, some decreases of up to 4.3%
- 10 Journey (adult, student or child) tickets - some decreases by up to 5.1%, and some increases by up to 4.9%
Other bus companiesThe private companies providing city and regional bus services in Galway do not receive any Government subsidy, so their fares are not approved by the National Transport Authority.
However some are likely to increase their fares at approximately the same time as Bus Éireann.
Iarnród Éireann / Irish Rail - train fare changesThere is no change to Intercity single and return fares.
Intercity adult and child weekly fares increase by 2%.
Intercity Taxsaver fares increase by 4%.