The following information is for the September 2012 meeting.
See Galway Races Public Transport for the latest announcements.
- Bus Éireann shuttle buses will run from Eyre Square. Details below.
- Farrell Travel are running daily buses from Oranmore, Claregalway and Athenry. Details below
- The route Galway City 9 bus service also goes to the racecourse, but there are some restrictions during peak racing traffic hours Mon - Fri. Details below.
- The route 3 - Ballybrit bus does not get you to the racecourse due to the dual carriageway layout.
- There are some alternations to regular regional buses during race week. Links below.
- Some extra train services are running during the week, but there are some cancellations on Sunday 31st. Details below
Special Services to Ballybrit Racecourse
From Eyre Square (Galway city centre):
Bus Éireann are running special races shuttle buses from Eyre Square on each day of the Galway Races summer festival meeting (25 - 31 July 2011).
- Mon, Tues and Fri from 3pm - every few minutes as required
- Wed, Thus, Sat and Sun from 11am - every few minutes as required
The departure point is outside the Skeffington Arms Hotel on the west side of the square (map), and the buses go to the tunnel entrance of the racecourse. Return services are available after the meeting finishes.
These are shuttle buses, and do no pick-up or drop-off along the way.
Farrell Travel are running service(s) picking up at the astro-turf, Oranmore Lodge and Maldron Hotels (see the Oranmore neighbourhood map for exact locations)
Mon & Tues - 4pmFare: single €6, return: €8
Wed 1:15pm and 2:15pm
Thurs 12-noon and 1pm
Fri: 4pm and 4:45:pm
Sat & Sun 1:30pm.
Farrell Travel are running a Park-and-Ride from the Raheen Woods Hotel, leaving at:
Monday, Tuesday and Friday – 15:45
Wednesday – 12:30 and 13:30
Thursday – 11:30 and 12:30
Saturday and Sunday – 13:00
€9 single, €15 return.
Farrell Travel are operating a shuttle bus from the Claregalway Hotel - contact the hotel for more information.
Galway city services
Bus Éireann Route 9 city buses leave from Eyre Square, travel along College and Dublin and Doughiska Rds, and go to the Avenue (back) entrance to the racecourse - number (5) on the Parkmore area map.
The usual city bus fares (including use of Travel Pass) apply.
However they will end at the Lynch Roundabout between
- 4pm - 6pm on Monday, Tuesday and Friday
- 12:30pm - 4pm on Wednesday
- 11:30am - 3:30pm on Thursday
People travelling to the racecourse on route 9, or working in Parkmore area (Parkmore West Industrial Estate, Parkmore East Business and Technology Park, Galway Technology Park, Racecourse Business Park Briarhill Business Park), will need to walk for approx 15-20 minutes from this stop. There is an underpass beside the Clayton Hotel, which is safer than crossing the dual-carriageway.
NB These times are based on the overall road closure times in the area, and may be extended if there are traffic management problems in the area.
Changes to regional bus services
Burkes Buses have cancelled several regular early-morning and evening services. See their website for details.
Farrell Travel have cancelled their 5:15pm Galway to Athenry service during Race Week. All other services will operate to timetable.
Bus Éireann have advertised these changes for Wed 27th and Thurs 28th:
- 2:30pm Galway to Athenry - cancelled
- 4:15pm Athenry to Galway - cancelled
- 4:25pm Galway to Longford - delayed until 5:15pm
- 5:45pm Galway to Castlerea - delayed until 6pm
Trains to Galway
The Galway Races website says that Irish Rail are running extra trains on Wednesday and Thursday:
Wednesday, 27th July
- 12.05 pm Athlone to Galway
- 8.20pm Galway to Heuston
- 8.45pm Galway to Ennis
Thursday, 28th July
- 10.08am Athlone to Galway
- 19.25pm Galway to Heuston
- 19.40pm Galway to Ennis
Irish Rail's August Bank Holiday weekend timetable has some Galway service cancellations for Sunday 31 July.